A note on names

View of the Nam Khan, Luang Prabang, Laos

I mentioned this briefly in my post the other day about essential things to pack for your honeymoon, but I just wanted to reiterate it as it’s an important point.

If you book your honeymoon in your (or your husband’s/wife’s) new, married name and are travelling abroad, then you must make sure that your passport is updated with the new name before you travel. You will not be allowed to travel if the name on your ticket does not match the name on your passport (even if you have your marriage certificate with you) – so do allow plenty of time to sort this out if you want to travel under your married name. You can apply for a new passport up to three months before the ceremony – but your new passport will be postdated, which means that you won’t be able to travel on it before the day of the ceremony. Also, bear in mind if you need to apply for a visa in advance that some countries do not issue visas for post-dated passports.

If you’ve got any further questions about this, then the Directgov website has it all explained very clearly, or let me know in the comments if you want anything clarified.

You might also like: